What is a Press Release?
Go back to the basic definition and the components of writing a press release. A press release is a primary source of information given directly to their audience from the company itself and is composed in 500 words or less. They’re official announcements to inform their audience about something specific. It could be a press release to announce a new product or service, a way to gain attention for your brand, or a way to control the brand narrative if it’ssurrounded by controversy.
Using social media as a marketing tool is considered an indirect marketing strategy, but PR professionals consider a press release to be the equivalent tospeaking into a megaphone. You’re asking for the attention of everyone you’re targeting, and it can be a great way to earn media coverage, giving them a credible source of information regarding your brand.
Benefits of a Press Release
- They’re an incredible way to build brand awareness and get every team member on the same page. Press releases promote a brand or a specific message you want to get across to your audience, and it even extends as a reminder to your team. It can be easy to forget the key messages your brand is promoting after being immersed in it for long periods, and there is nothing like a good press release to unite your team and your audience on those core company values.
- A press release is a direct message from your brand, and it is your voice. You’re building brand awareness by giving journalists and the general public a source of information and helping to break up the speculation. You can reuse a press release in other media sources as well. They’re very versatile and can help with lead generation.
- They can boost your search engine optimization (SEO). Depending on your strategy when promoting your press release, choosing the right wire services to help distribute your press release can help boost your SEO indirectly. Getting featured by a journalist on a popular news site can spread your message around media outlets and attract interest. Gaining the interest of new individuals means they’ll start flocking to your website and boost your web traffic, and if they like your content and share it with others, that’ll also increase your SEO.
Tips on Creating a Successful Press Release
- Timing is everything. If you coincide with trending topics, it can help your press release be seen as more newsworthy by internet algorithms and boost visibility. The first three weekdays are reported to be more effective in getting traffic than the later days of the week, with Tuesday generally generating the most clicks.
- The more interactive you can make it, the better. Over the past few years, many individuals have noted a decrease in their attention span due to overstimulation from social media. You have to work to grab the attention of your audience, so including a short video or links to different resources can help bring additional value in attracting the people you’re wanting to reach.
- Be selective about how much you promote it. Oversaturation is something to avoid, so choose your distribution services carefully and let the internet’s algorithm do the rest of the work. You don’t want your audience to be tired of reading the message you’re trying to promote; you want it to get the proper attention it deserves.
- Keep it short and simple. Ideally, a press release should be somewhere between 400-500 words. Once you grab your audience’s attention, you won’t have it for very long, so make it count. This means getting straight to the point of creating your press release and not adding anything irrelevant to your message to lengthen it.
- Use it as a tool and not your entire strategy. You’re promoting two kinds of messages when you send out a press release: the message you tell your audience explicitly and the one you tell through your actions. Make it part of a larger strategy to drive home that you’re passionate about the message you’re promoting. Consider publishing your message in a company blog post or promoting it through organic social media.
Versa Creative is Here to Help
While it might be more difficult for your message to be heard by your audience, press releases are still a great tool you can use in your campaigning strategy. If still asking yourself, “are press releases still relevant in 2023,” it is a definite yes. A press release is an invaluable tool to set the narrative for your brand or the message you’re wanting to promote, so they’ll remain relevant in many marketing strategies.
If you need help creating a powerful press release, partner with Versa Creative. Based in Houston, Texas, Versa is a full-service marketing agency that can offer its skilled and professional team help with press releases, reputation management, social media marketing, and campaign development. Versa is your one-stop shop for everything you need to develop your brand, so contact Versa today.