Google Maps is an essential part of marketing strategy for any business because it is a common tool consumers use to find directions to a destination through driving, public transportation, walking, or biking. According to The Business Listings Trust Report, 94% of consumers have used an online directory to find information about a local business within the last 12 months. It is fundamentally the device that will assist in driving new clientele to your commercial enterprise, but what happens if your business address is wrong on Google Maps?
Luckily, there are a few solutions that can help fix this problem:
Claim Your Business Profile on Google
The first step in making sure your business address is displayed accurately on Google is to claim your business profile. In doing so, you have the ability to add your business information to Google Maps and other services. You can claim your business through the following steps:
- Step one. Open Google Maps on your computer.
- Step two. In the search bar, enter your business name.
- Step three. Click on your business and then click “Claim This Business.” Next, click on “Manage Now.”
- Step four. Select a verification option, then follow the on-screen steps.
Fixing Incorrect Map Pins
85% of consumers found incorrect or incomplete information on a business listing in the last year. It’s common that the reason your business might not have an accurate location on Google Maps is that an incorrect map pin has been placed. If that is the case, the solution to fix this is quite simple through the following steps:
- Step one. First and foremost, start by making sure the address on Google Maps is accurate without any extraneous information. Having an incorrect address is a frequent reason that a business location appears in the wrong place.
- Step two. If the address is correct, but the location still appears in the wrong place, the next step is to manually drag the pin to the correct location. To do so, you will need to manage it from your Google My Business dashboard and open the business location you would like to change. Click the “Address” field then scroll over to the right side of the window where you will see a map with a red pin on top of your business location. Drag the pin to your correct location. Use the + and – buttons to zoom in or out if needed. Once it has been placed in the accurate spot, click the “Apply” button at the top-right corner.
- Step three. After you have placed the pin in its new location, Google will review the changes. This process typically takes between two or three days before the location status changes. In the meantime, it’s a good idea to check other local listings, such as Yelp or Foursquare, to see if the correct location for your business is listed. To fix your pin location on these platforms, head to your claimed dashboard and follow the instructions for correcting the pin placement.
Report the Problem to Google
In other instances, the Google address to your business location may contain the wrong information. If you need to fix the address, reporting the problem to Google can be your last resort:
- Fix an address. On a desktop, open Google Maps. Search for your business address, then click “Suggest an edit.” Next, click on “Wrong pin location or address” and enter the correct address information. Click “Send” to submit.
- Add a new address. On a desktop, open Google Maps. Click “Menu” then at the bottom, click “Edit the map.” Next, click “Wrong pin location or address” and then move and center the map on the address you want to add. Enter the address information and click “Send” to submit.
Get It Right with Versa Creative
At Versa Creative, we understand that it’s vital for your business to stay relevant online and we’re here to help. Our search engine optimization (SEO) services grant the exposure and rankings you need to reach your target audience and make an impact. To help your business appear at the top of organic results, we monitor your local business listings and create content that targets your geographic location. Never worry if your business address is wrong on Google Maps again.
Ready to rank higher in search results? Get a free digital audit from our team of SEO experts today!